Sunday 6 April 2014

A Costumista's Catalyst

I'm going to start with a little insight into my day today - because I believe it's been a catalyst for me starting up this blog.

Firstly a bit of background - I am currently working, among other things, as the costume designer for an upcoming performance of the musical "Nine". It's based on a Federico Fellini film favourite - 8 and a half. Fulfilling my role as the costumista, (costume designer) - do expect a big of Italian lingo slipped in here and there - I've been resourcing and fitting costumes and hand crafting head pieces for the Folies Begere number.

I spent the proportion of my day yesterday spray painting obscure faux flowers in a striking chrome colour and affixing them onto miniature bowler hats I managed to grab for a cheeky 1 euro each. I will include a more detailed post on these. My boss, an incredible lady who I could also dedicate a long ass post to, was actually rather delighted this morning when she saw them.

But the thing that really left me motivated this evening was how I surprised myself by taking on a leadership role stronger than I ever have. To sum it up: the lights we had for the show were not having a striking or professional impact on the stage. I was unsatisfied and drew up a light design for the show. With the help of two other students I instigated a swift re-working of the lights, directing and leading them to create the design I had drawn up.

I dare say, it felt pre-ty good taking charge and being assertive. A good skill to learn, and a good opportunity for me to practice it.



Baci


No comments:

Post a Comment